Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Recommended Reading -- #2

Recommended Reading #1 article on this blog (link) described how we should strive to be "Avid, Selective, Careful, Critical, and Thoughtful (ASCCT) readers in our investing-related reading.  But  (1) How do we identify articles that are worthwhile reading?; and (2) Can these articles be organized in a way that makes it easy for us to find them?  This article briefly describes how I do this and I'm hopeful you will find this information useful and will consider doing something similar.

In recent years, I have found many blogs that provide excellent investing-related information.  Initially, I would simply bookmark the link to any blogger whose articles I wanted to regularly follow.  But as the number of bloggers grew, it eventually became too unwieldy.  Fortunately, I learned that there are services called RSS reader apps that can organize many blogs in a very user-friendly format.  Also fortunately, several of these apps have free platforms that provide adequate features.  I chose Netvibes a few years ago and am very satisfied with it.  Among others for you to consider would include Feedly, Inoreader, and Feed Reader.

A screen shot from my Netvibes reader feed is shown below.  I have a tab for each category of blogs I follow -- my categories are Covered Calls, Investing, Value Investing, Economics, Stocks, Dividend Stocks, Podcasts, and Personal Finance/Retirement.  Under each category there are a few blogs that I follow.  The image below shows six blogs in the Investing category: Abnormal Returns, A Wealth of Common Sense, etc.; and for each blog there are links to the titles of their seven most recent articles.  As you can see, this makes it easy to scan the titles and to click on any article that I want to open for viewing and reading. 


Click on the image above for a larger view.

If you want to try this (and I hope you will), first do some basic research on a few RSS reader apps and select one whose features most appeal to you.  Then establish a few categories and add at least one blog to each category.  You can add, delete, or change categories at any time you want to as you continue to develop and customize your own reader feeds.  You can also add, delete, or change the individual blogs in your reader feed at any time.  You can also re-arrange the position of your individual blogs:  (1) their location on the page; and (2) even move then from one category to another more appropriate category.   

To aid you in getting started, you might consider including some of my favorites in each of four categories, which are:
1. Covered Calls -- Covered Calls Advisor (of course) http://coveredcallsadvisor.blogspot.com/ and The Blue Collar Investor https://www.thebluecollarinvestor.com/blog/
2. Investing -- Abnormal Returns https://abnormalreturns.com/ and A Wealth of Common Sense https://awealthofcommonsense.com/
3. Value Investing -- The Acquirer's Multiple https://acquirersmultiple.com/blog/
4. Economics -- Advisor Perspectives https://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort?utm_source=dshort_feed&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=feed_link 

I hope this information has stimulated your thinking and is helpful to you. Please email me if you have any questions about this article or if there are any investing-related blogs you currently read that you have found to be especially insightful and that you are willing to share with me.  

Best Wishes and Godspeed,

Jeff Partlow
The Covered Calls Advisor
partlow@cox.net